Thursday, July 19, 2012

Final bike adjustments

by the time you read this, I will probably be on my way to the IMBC2012 in Hell's Canyon, Oregon. I had some last minute things to do on my bike . Last Saturday was a warm day. I debated about riding my bike but the thought of having to gear up everytime I stopped, and sweating in my gear made me rethink to drive my car instead. That way I could wear shorts and sandals and be comfortable.

I need another pair of Rok Straps and a tin of chain lube so I headed to my local Triumph/BMW/Motoguzzi dealer

P1010618

I wanted to bring a full can with me on my journey. Of course, while I was at the dealer it doesn't hurt to sit on a few bikes and talk to the sales rep. Then I headed over to my friendly mechanic to buy a litre of MA2 motorcycle oil, synthetic blend

P1010626

There was a female rider there fiddling around with her mirror and I tried to make small talk but she ignored me. I guess she thought I was being too aggressive, or she was being too protective but all I wanted to do was talk about bikes, buy my oil and get home

P1010628

I'm trying to keep my weight down and pack light so I decided that I didn't need to carry a full bottle of oil so I found a small plastic bottle about 1/3rd litre and put it into a double sealed plastic zip loc bag as I don't want it to leak all over my clothes, or spill in my side case

P1010629

Last year on my Montana trip I was down about half a litre of oil on our return leg. Vstroms are known to use a bit of oil if you keep your engine revving over 6K RPMs. From what I ascertain from the Stromtrooper.com forums, this is normal usuage. If you are cruising at high speed, or riding aggressively in the twisties, I find it better to click down a gear and go with higher engine speeds.

P1010632

I would have preferred to bring half a litre but we can always purchase more oil "on the road" if necessary . I recently had my bike serviced and there is a sight glass on the side of the engine.

P1010631

the oil is at the top mark so I am good to go. I also decided to recheck my tire pressures. I even bought a better tire gauge. It was the first time I got to use my new 8 gal air compressor. I turned on my air compressor and waited for the engine to fill up the tank. It stops at 100 psi and there is a dial to control the output pressure, which I set for 50 psi.

I used both tire gauges and guess what ? The newer, more expensive metal one did not give the same reading as my used, old plastic one, so not I don't know which one is right

P1010623

one reads 32 psi, the old one reads 37 psi, such a difference but which one is right ? I am trusting my older plastic one

It was a hot day and I should be doing this in the evening but it was one chore that I wanted to do right away

P1010625

I've resorted to wearing my tank top and shorts under my riding gear. I also change out of my boots and into my sandals at the first opportunity. My foot is getting better but if I try to walk any distance in my riding boots it will make my foot ache

P1010617adj




15 comments:

  1. have a fabulous time!!!!! and send hugs to everyone. ride safe and enjoy my friend :) xx!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Trails, Bob.....

    Have a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you are all set to go Bob and I am sure you are already across the border by now.

    I like how you managed to get your feet in most pictures - well except for that last one. Don't expect anyone to be duplicating that one ;-)

    See you tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you have a great trip.

    All the best Tony T...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, if you purchased that purty little R12R in the first picture you wouldn't need to continue purchasing and carrying chain lube. Just asayin'. :)

    Have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bob,
    Re: tyre gauges, you're experiencing what I mentioned in my last post regarding pressure gauge quality! Who knows which is right? It makes a big difference to both grip and tyre life though. One of the best "old style" gauges is the Accugage as it works on the bourdon tube principle like a barometer. Most modern digital gauges are pretty good too. I'd be inclined to follow it up when you get back.

    Have a fantastic time and safe and happy travelling. Say hi to all those other excellent bloggers from me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have a great trip Bob and safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have a safe and fun trip.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ride safe! Give my best wishes to all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That female rider might have been deaf from riding without earplugs....

    Or

    I get the impression female riders get a lot of unwanted attention at times.....

    dom

    Redleg's Rides

    Colorado Motorcycle Travel Examiner

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your mismatched pressure gauge readings reminded me of that old adage about the only person who never knows the time is the man with 2 clocks.
    Have a safe and fun trip!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have a blast! Hope you meet some great people along the way! Ride safe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have two tire pressure gauges with me if you want to compare them as well. An simple mechanical and a small digital. They are within 1 psi so I continue to use the small mechanical freebie I got from some tire vendor.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Save travels. I'm with y'all in spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Have a great and safe time! I, too, change out of my boots. I always carry flip flops to beat the heat.

    ReplyDelete