Monday, February 22, 2016

Meeting up and passing the torch.

I have to admit that I'm a little nervous as I sit and wait at my home for the arrival of Scooter Bob.

I've been following David Masse's Life on Two Wheels blog for a while and David has put a lot of miles under his wheels as he traveled and toured.  Bill Leuthold is a legend in some circles as he done several Iron Butt challenges, and has been in at least two Scooter Cannonballs.  Ken Wilson has been keeping a blog for years and is another serious rider with various accomplishments to his name.  The man helped build a school for God's sake.  Jim Mandel I'm afraid I didn't know but I did know that if was riding with this group then he must be very accomplished indeed.

Sadly however I would not be able to ride with them.  I had some prior commitments (See the Great Kitchen Remodel) and would be working later in the day. 

Me?  I'm famous for trying to add a blender to the back of my bike and sell smoothies

Myself, Scooter Bob, Bill and Venessa
Sadly it didn't pan out that way.  David's gear got shipped elsewhere (see his post about thathere).  I'm not sure what happened to Ken and Jim but Bill did stop by for a few minutes and we handed off Scooter Bob. 

I had thought about where I wanted to take Scooter Bob before, but a lot of other riders have taken him to places I can only dream of.  My world seems very small right now, but let us shake those negative thoughts from my head.

In no particular order I was thinking of showing him the following:

  • The largest collection of Frank Lloyd Wright's work in the south.
  • Mermaids
  • A big bell tower
  • City roads
  • Big Lizards
  • A city of Ghosts
  • A city of Freaks
  • A UFO
  • The best beach in America
  • Bea and my favorite bee's.
  • A castle in a swamp
It really just depends on the weather, the time I have and a few other things.  I'm a big fan of a local program that takes "Trips on a tankful" in and around Florida as well as an avid reader of Florida Backroads e-zine.    What I'm hoping is something odd and unusual will catch my eye.  I also had every intention to reaching out to my local scooting community for their suggestions as well.

This is going to be fun.  This, I think, is what I needed.   To get out and explore again.  Hopefully have Scooter Bob around will rekindle my desire to ride again, much like the Equinox to Equinox rally did a few years ago (and where I finished a very respectable 13th).

4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed our brief meeting at your house, handing over the little guy. I know you will have some fun, as taking him around places is also taking you around. It gets you out and about, to places you probably wouldn't go to without the impetus of ScooterBob. For clarification, I have done two Iron Butt Saddle Sore 1000's and only one Cannonball so far. (registered and fully intend to compete in this years version) I am not sure where the legend stuff came from but it is not me. I just like to ride. And Jim Mandle also started a school, the Adirondack Folk School in Lake Luzerne. It is quite a group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Skooterbob would want to be in odd places, and listen to odd stories, too. Ride out, and let the little trinket inspire you. It does that, you know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sonja's right. Let the wooden scooter channel Bob.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Sonja. It's the little things that make each of our lives the wonderful, complex webs that they are. Bob loved getting to know people, so I'm sure he'd be thrilled with any place you decided to share with him. It's part of you.

    ReplyDelete